Saturday, February 18, 2012

Bee blocks finished, I Spy Charm Swap...

I feel like I finished a whole bunch of stuff this week!  Yay!  Got several things in the mail, off of my sewing table, and now I can tackle the next layer of projects!! 

Here's what I did:

I finished my February bee blocks for the Bliss circle of do. Good Stitches:

I'm pleased with how they turned out, and hope they are enjoyed!  It was fun to try something I haven't done in a while, and making the scrappy sail was really fun.  Good way to use up those little scraps.

I also got to make a February block for Katie as part of the We Bee Modern group that I'm in.  Everyone picks a block from the book Modern Blocks (99 modern quilt blocks compiled by Susanne Woods) and then we all get to make it!  Katie chose On The Plus Side on pg. 124.  I wanted to practice first before I used the fabric she sent (all the way from Canada!), and I think I will do this with all the future blocks and then I'll end up with my own cool quilt of the blocks chosen throughout the year!  Here's how my practice block turned out:
I like the colors I picked out and am going to stay with this grey, blue, and yellow thing for all my practice blocks! 

Once I finished this practice one I felt much better about tackling "the real thing".  I get a little nervous when I am making something for someone else, because I want it to be perfect.  It didn't iron as flat as I'd hoped it would but hopefully Katie will like it anyway!  I think it turned out pretty well!  And the fabrics she chose from Echo are simply wonderful!

I also joined in on another I Spy Charm Swap and couldn't decide between two fabrics...so I picked both!!  If you're looking fora swap to join here's the link to the group on Flickr.  I'm pretty sure there are still several spaces open, and the fabrics picked so far are AWESOME! Here are the two that I picked:

Bug Jars in Grey from Patty Sloniger's Backyard Baby (really I've just been looking for an excuse to buy some of this!).  The bottom one is Toyroom in Lilac from Sarah Jane's awesome line Children at Play.  Both fabrics I bought at Hawthorne Threads (and borrowed the images too!).  Love that shop.

I still need to finish the binding on one baby quilt, wash them, and take pictures of them to put up here.  The other thing I'm hoping to get done this weekend is the February block for my the other bee I'm in.  It's another bee with using the book Modern Blocks to pick a block each month and make it (This way I get to be in two bee's using this book so I'll get to do more blocks from it!).  She chose the book block on page 126 and has great ideas for what she wants us to do.  I'm excited to show you the finished block (once I make it of course)!

I'm also hoping to get some progress made on the Mr's quilt so I can justify cutting fabric for my first SWOON quilt!!  Really excited about that fabric stack I've got.

What are you doing this weekend?  It just started snowing so we might be enjoying some hot chocolate and coziness today!  Hope your weekend is enjoyable and relaxing!! 

8 comments:

  1. Oh I love the blocks with pluses on them. Very nice! And what a cute sailboat block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennie! It's always a little nerve racking for me to "branch out" like this, and it's so nice to hear that others like them too!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing about the i spy swap! I love your plus blocks--I really need to branch out and try something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steph, the plus blocks were a little scary to begin! The book is full of wonderful things that will be new to me! I'm excited to challenge myself though. We'll see how it goes!

      Delete
  3. Ooohh! Love the pluses! I have been meaning to check taht book out at the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They were fun to make. I totally recommend it, it's awesome! I've seen it at Jo-Ann's before and with a coupon that'd be pretty good. I got mine on Amazon.

      Delete
  4. Those On The Plus Side blocks are awesome! As for this weekend, hubby and I are celebrating our 8th wedding anniversary with a night out to dinner sans kids. I love my little sweeties, but it will be nice to go out to a restaurant with a waiter for once! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Visiting from Clover and Violet's stitch and quilt along. I love the little pieced sails, too.

    ReplyDelete