Friday, June 8, 2012

Hexagons Galore

Tonight I bring you a whole bunch of hexagons.

This is my collection so far.  I swapped for the ones on the right, in sets for making flowers.  The others on the left are what I've made while watching Twin Peaks over the past few weeks.

Needless to say I got a little distracted with the show and wasn't very productive...

I got some good mail today though, more hexagon materials and some fabric for two other charm swaps.  The melon solid and polka dot on the bottom are for the matchy polka dot swap, and the two other fabrics are for the Sherbet colors charm swap.  I Instagramed this so the colors aren't very true to life.
This time I'm using 1 1/4 inch pieces to make hexagons for Chelsea for two of the bees that I'm in.  I whipped up a bunch watching Twin Peaks tonight and now just  need to piece them together.
 I think I like this size better than the 1 " pieces.  That 1/4 inch really adds up.  Chelsea's going to have a beautiful bunch of hexagons from everyone.
 I love this elephant.  He's from one of the Birch organic collections.  Great color and the fabric feels so good.  I am hoarding all my Birch fabrics and waiting for just the right project for them...
And these cute girls were from a layer cake swap.  I cut it into 5" charms and then used one to make this 3" square for the hexagon. 

I also got to do a bee block that had some handstitching.  This block is for the June Books and Blocks Bee Too.
I like this version of the pinwheel better than most.  mainly because most pinwheels make me thing immediately of swastikas and that's just not good.  The circle in the middle, and having the whole pinwheel inset into the block here softens the unfriendly look that most pinwheels have for me.

The middle circle is appliqued in place so that's where the stitching came in.  I wanted to secure it a bit more so I put some fusible stuff (can't remember it's real name right now) under it and then stitched it down.  Hopefully it will be durable.

There and Back

Linking up this post with Katie at There and Back.  If you haven't already you should check out the other posts in the Handmade Parade this week!  And get out some of your handwork so you can share your projects too!



5 comments:

  1. LOL I do my hexagons while watching tv too! Twin Peaks definitely has me sucked in! It was filmed just across the border in WA, so the setting is very similar. As well this is a small mill town so I can't help comparing us to Twin Peaks. I only hope we aren't so - weird!
    Thanks for linking up to The Handmade Parade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your hexies! What are you planning to do with them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your hexies! I too am sewing some together..not in flowers as such. I was sewing some in the car. =D

    I'm having a giveaway on my blog. There is one extra day to enter =D
    http://ibescheraldine.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/official-150th-post-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the sherbet colors! so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. (hit enter too soon) --
    I'm super impressed by the hexagons... you're a mad woman. ;)

    ReplyDelete