Thursday, August 23, 2012

Baby Boy quilt for a friend :)

My friend Kim is expecting a baby boy in three weeks and tonight is her baby shower! Well, it's in 10 minutes so I'm pretty safe she won't read this before I give it to her!

I LOVE making quilts for people I know, and was excited to have this excuse to make one for a baby boy.  I've been working with lots of girly fabrics and colors lately for no particular reason.

If you follow me on Instagram (@mgriffin87) you know I kindof waited until the last minute, and then changed my mind...heck, if you follow my blog you know I'm really easily distracted.

So...I started this quilt on Tuesday and finished it yesterday afternoon!  I love it.  I decided to hand quilt around each of the stars in blue hand quilting thread.  I LOVE what this does to the quilt.

Keeps it soft and cozy, and keeps it together.  And I couldn't figure out how to machine quilt it, so that was out. 

It was so easy to put together and in this case, that made is really fun.  Especially when this is the awesome result.  Did I tell you I like star blocks yet??

This quilt measures about 40" square and I used one of my favorite Denise Schmidt prints to back it.  Great thing about this size is you don't have to piece the back!!  Major time saved there.

I had some dark blue binding already made so I used it.  More time saved (I always over-estimate binding and have a bunch of random lengths of leftovers that turn out great for Baby quilts or mini-quilts).
I really hope she likes it, and I'm so happy for her growing family!  
 p.s. If you've never sewn on paper before it's really fun.  Plus, this card took maybe 2 minutes to make and it used scraps I had on hand.  win-win. 

I'm thinking of sharing my star block process if you'd be interested?

4 comments:

  1. Such a sweet quilt! Your friend and her baby will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's adorable! I love the bright colours. Very cute card too, I've done those before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fun quilt! The fabrics are perfect for a boy, I'm sure it'll be used for years.
    I'm interested in learning the process =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marian! That is the cutest quilt! I love it so much. What a wonderful gift for your friend. She is sure to be crazy about it :-)

    ReplyDelete