Friday, August 31, 2012

Finished!

I don't have a name for this quilt but I love love love it!  Back in April I was queen bee of two groups that use the same book, 99 Modern Blocks, as the inspiration.  I picked the Parisian Star for both bees and sent out this gorgeous blue solid (blue raspberry bella solid) with a request for spring-y colors. 
I got back 20 gorgeous blocks and made 10 more to make it bigger. 
 Now it is done and I love it!  It's actually been done since Monday or Tuesday but I've been using it with great results (took a nap today!) and haven't even cut the threads off or washed it yet! 
  I handstitched around each star to keep it cozy and soft and because, despite the pain, I love to hand quilt.  It is so comforting to sit and work on it and then to see how it all turns out is sooooo wonderful!  Big payoff there.  My favorite. 

I am also really pleased with how the back turned out.  Though it looks greenish here, it's really mostly light blues.  I really need a real camera....Usually I just find fabrics that work with the colors and put them together until I have enough to cover the back.  That's what I did for this one, but I think it turned out better than it usually does! 


I used a scrappy binding I just had on hand, (well, sewed a couple extra pieces together) and voila!  Done.  It is a good throw sized quilt and perfect for naps.  I'm 5' 10" and I like big throw quilts.  Though I didn't measure it (yet), it is a good size for snuggling! 

Linking up to Katie's Handmade Parade today!!  Yay!  


10 comments:

  1. Love the stars! Great colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. This is super awesome! And thanks for telling us what the background is. I love that color for a background. Do you like Bella solids a lot? I have never tried them, only Kona.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow ! It's beautiful !! Isn't it nice receiving blocks and the only thing you need to do is piece them ? I love it when it comes together this fast :)

    The back is really pretty to !! One thing you can cross off of your (huge) list :) lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely! Your hand quilting is the perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Possibly Seeing stars or Starstruck for the name?

    It looks great, I always find quilt backs the hardest to do. Hand quilting is always awesome...though I agree on the pain factor! =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. great quilt! i love the scrappy back & binding :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous Marian!! So colourful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your 5'10"??? Isn't it funny how you create your own image of people that you've never met in person? I always imagined you (no idea why) as a petite little thing. I love that your tall, you're so lucky :-) Okay that was random....
    And I am crazy about this quilt! Especially the hand quilting. The sparkle punch is on my list but I just don't know when I'll get around to it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks awesome, god I wish I had the patience for this style of quilting. And Im 5'10 also, tall crafters are good crafters I say!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks awesome, god I wish I had the patience for this style of quilting. And Im 5'10 also, tall crafters are good crafters I say!

    ReplyDelete