Wednesday, August 1, 2012

I Like Chicken

First, I know this is primarily a sewing blog with pictures of my kids.  There's none of that in this post. 

Second, I'm nervous to share this, even though it shouldn't be a big deal.  But it is a bit personal.  And for some reason I feel like sharing my opinion today. 

Let me tell you a story.

When I was in school growing up I had a good friend.  We met in midde school.  She and I had completely differing opinions, values, and viewpoints on everything.  I mean everything.  But we got along and had a great friendship because we didn't fight about our opinions.  We accepted the differences we had and enjoyed being together.  It was fun and easy to spend time together.  The fact that I was, and am, a member of the LDS church (Mormon) didn't matter to her, and the fact that she was not a Mormon didn't matter to me.  Why would it?

Then came the election of 2008 and with it Proposition 8.  Now, here was another place where our opinions drastically differed.  I didn't care.  I'm too shy to go around telling everyone what I think anyway.  She had one opinion, I had another.  That's the point (At this time I was married, finishing my last year of college and was pregnant with our first child - just for the mental timeline.  She was equally moving along in her life as well).

I don't know what happened.  Maybe it was that we didn't get to talk as much, but something changed.  I will say this.  I did not agree with her.  She did not agree with me.  I didn't try to convince her, and in the past she hadn't pressured me about my beliefs either.

But when this came along...it tore us apart.  My reason for believing one thing just wasn't enough.  She went after me for it.  I'm not playing victim, that's lame.  I answered her questions, respected her opinion, and she couldn't let it go.  I haven't spoken to or seen or heard from her in the almost 4 years since and it breaks me up.

I don't know why we couldn't go on being friends.   Just because I thought one thing and she thought another.  But it happened.  

This whole "issue" about chicken is ridiculous.

Here's why.

Everyone has an opinion.  That is a good thingThat's the point.

I like Chick-Fil-A because (in my opinion) they make good chicken.  Not because they're closed on Sundays.  Not because they're run by a Christian family.  But because they make good food.  That's why I eat there.  If you don't like their chicken that's fine.  

I watch project runway because I like Tim Gunn, and I admire the creativity and people who are a part of it.  Not because of my opinion on Gay Marriage.

It shouldn't matter what Chick-Fil-A believes in (there are other dining options. Just go eat somewhere else.  Who cares where I have lunch?).

I think you should stand up for whatever it is you believe in!  Especially if it is being challenged or attacked.

But whatever side of the divide you are on, it is wrong to be mean when someone disagrees with you

You can live your life however you want to.  That's your business and your right.  But let me live my life the way I want to in return.  That's being respectful.

If you disagree with me that's great.  But I hope we can still be friends. 

And, in case you're curious...I am going to Chick-Fil-A today. 

It's 40 minutes away and happens to be two blocks away from the closest Target  ;)  Matthew needs longer pants and bigger shoes.  I'd be going there anyway, why not today?

5 comments:

  1. Wow that's really sad when things like that happen. Two of my friends had an arguement that I was in the middle of. I did try to reason with them both, but being so stuck in their ways didn't want to listen to what I had to say (even though I was totally right) and now they haven't spoken to each other for months even when they see each other in the street they ignore each other!
    It's a real shame that some people get so stuck in their ways they can't move on and see reason.
    Chick-Fil-A sounds nice! Maybe our KFC is similar...then again I doubt it =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar experience with a friend a few years ago, and it still tears me up too. We had such a good time together, and I still can't understand why we're not friends anymore. And on the topic of being friends with people who have different opinions, lifestyles and religions, I think that's what makes our lives richer. Hope you enjoyed your chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really try to avoid talking to people about politics, religion, or our respective positions on gay marriage. You know why? Because I have really really strong opinions on those things and I don't want them to come between us, as is often happens. I don't even want to know if my friends are for or against something because honestly, it doesn't matter. There are other things to talk about. Like sewing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kay, I had to look up Proposition 8, and Chick-Fil-A is supporting it and people don't like that? (confused Canadian here :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally understand you ! There are things I try to about talking about because just like Katie said, I have strong opinions and I don't like to fight with others..

    It makes me think of something : I decided to stop eating wheat 3 weeks ago after I read Wheat Belly (and I also don't eat meat because I like cows and pigs and I don't want to eat them) and I almost feel bad when I tell others I don't eat wheat anymore. Which is completely silly and I also feel like people think I'm crazy for doing that. It annoys me so much.

    But in the end, if you eat wheat and meat and I don't know, don't breastfeed your baby, I don't care. It's your life, your opinions. I have mine and as long as we respect each other, I don't see why we couldn't be friend !

    ReplyDelete