Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Shoo Fly Block Tutorial!

My first tutorial!

(Just a head's up:  I just noticed that there is another tutorial for a 12.5" version of this block on Svetlana's blog here.  She makes beautiful quilts, so hop over there if you'd like a bigger block. My tutorial here makes a block that turns out a little more than 10" square)

Disclaimer: I am not an expert, this is just the way I put this  block together.  If you use this tutorial and find I've made a mistake in calculations or instructions please leave a comment letting me know so I can correct it.  And if you make this block from my tutorial I'd love to see it! (and I am taking my pictures with an iPhone so I hope these pictures are clear enough for the instructions)

I used this Shoo Fly block for my month as queen of the Traveling Circles bee.  I had one package that went flying somewhere it wasn't supposed to go, so I'm putting the instructions up so those last couple blocks can be made, but I thought you might like to know how to make this.

I'm giving directions for making one block.  Then, you can do the math as to how many blocks you want to make your quilt! 

FOR ONE Shoo Fly BLOCK you will need:


(2) 4 1/4" white squares (for hst/corners)
(2) 4 1/4" print squares (for hst/corners)
(1) 3 3/4" white square (center)
(4) 3 3/4" print squares (for sides)


1) Pair each 4 1/4" white square with a print square of the same size.  Put right sides together and, with your ruler, draw a line through the middle diagonally (corner to corner)


2) Stitch 1/4" of each side of the line, cut on the line, and press your hst.  You can press open or to the side, whichever you like.


3) Now you have 4 hst's.  Trim each one to 3 3/4".  This is the most tedious part of the whole block because you have to do 1 hst at a time. 


4) Lay out your block and assemble.  I do this by sewing together the three rows (left to right), and then putting those three rows together.

Press your seams as you go, and then you should end up with a nice Shoo Fly block that measures about 10 1/4" square.

ENJOY!!

Oh, one last thing.  Just for reference, the pattern I got this block from was for a quilt 6 blocks by 9 blocks and was about 58" X 88".  It was a free pattern somewhere but I haven't been able to find it...if you know the one, would you let me know so I can link to it?  Thanks!! 

I am making mine 8 blocks by 10 blocks so it will obviously be larger, but I haven't done the math as to how big it'll turn out, but I'll be sure to share it when I'm done!! 

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous!
    I love the orange DS fabric - I've just tracked some down for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Orange and white. Lovely combo!

    ReplyDelete