Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Blogger's Quilt Festival

My Halloween quilt is done!!!  

 So I have to enter this quilt into the Blogger's Quilt Festival, of course.


And I had to wait until Halloween DAY to enter it, obviously.  And since my Giants won the World Series this quilt is even more appropriate!  As a bonus, Ben's school colors at ISU are black and orange so I can pretty much keep it out all year, right?  Right.


I came up with this quilt from seeing so many amazing chevrons and zig-zag quilts and desperately wanting to make one.  I also wanted to make a Halloween quilt that was purely black and orange (ok, maybe grey also) as a tribute to our family's annual Black and Orange Halloween dinner we have around Halloween time (tonight we're having black rice and salmon, carrots, olives, oranges, dirt dessert...you get the idea).
I sketched out what I wanted to do.... have varied widths of white space between the zig-zags, which would be a combination of black and orange fabrics to give it a scrappy look.

I have always wanted to make holiday quilts with non holiday specific fabrics.  Though I love holiday specific fabrics too, and there are some ghosts and candy corns in this one, I began by pulling all the black and orange fabric I had and cutting a bizillion 5" squares and making them into HST's. Then it needed some pizazz, so I added the Halloween specific fabrics and loved it even more.

"helper" dog

I hand quilted it with Perle cotton thread and it was lovely.  I love how it looks simple and special and didn't take as long to quilt as I thought it would! 


I backed it with black flannel that is so snuggly warm, and with some leftover orange fabric.  I love that the quilting of the zig-zag from the top shows on the orange of the back, like a rad surprise detail that looks really awesome.

I had a hard time getting a picture of this as the stitches blend into the pattern, but in person it looks really awesome! 

Quilt Stats:
Halloween Quilt/Black and Orange Zig-Zag
Hand quilted with black Perle Cotton thread
Measures 63" x 80"
Category: Favorite Throw Quilt



Tonight I'll be sitting under this awesome quilt watching Ghostbusters and Young Frankenstein if you need me...and raiding my kids trick-or-treat bags for the all the milky ways and pink starbursts from the neighborhood...!

happy halloween and happy blogger's quilt festival!!

go have a look if you haven't already, and be prepared to be inspired!!


15 comments:

  1. Oh it's so beautiful !! I need a christmas quilt. I don't know if I'll be able to pull if of this year though.

    You are lucky you have kids, I want to eat candies but you know, if I just buy some, they'll all be the same and that's boring !

    I LOVE their costumes !! They are just the cutest :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this quilt! The orange and gray are one of my favorite color combinations. Beautiful quilt! And your kids are adorable! I hope you don't get a belly ache from all the yummy candy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great! I love the varied spacing and that one extra thick zig zag.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic. Definitely worth keeping out all year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! That really is awesome! I'd definitely keep it out all year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love orange - and if you call the black "dark grey" no one needs to limit it to Halloween. :-)

    Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is beautiful! I love the hand-quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like fun,and I like your zigzag quilt too:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE your Halloween/Lucky Giants quilt! Totally year round quilt if you ask me (even though you didn't ask me). I'm on an orange and grey kick. Soooo love your quilt, Marian!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE this! It rocks! And it's so special because you did the quilting by hand....Ü

    ReplyDelete
  11. I knew from the little peeks on IG that I was going to like this one, but now that I've seen the whole thing I really love it!! The chunky scrappy zigzag is the best! And so are pink starburst.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I knew from the little peeks on IG that I was going to like this one, but now that I've seen the whole thing I really love it!! The chunky scrappy zigzag is the best! And so are pink starburst.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So fun! I love the combination, and I think your choice to vary the widths between rows is very effective. Definitely a quilt to enjoy year-round!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks great in this colour combination and a clever idea to vary the width of the zigzags/spaces.

    ReplyDelete