Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Books I

I love to read.  Last year I didn't read much AT ALL.  So far this year I'm doing much better.  Still not as much as usual.

I will always prefer real books over reading on a screen, but it's so darn easy that I'm all for it.  Read more.  That's good whatever the form. Anyway, here's what I've read so far this year.

First! Divergent by Veronica Ross.  I'm sure you've heard of this one.  It was fast, and the story was intriguing.  I started it and read for 5 1/2 hours straight.  I know it's being made into a movie so I don't want to give away too much.  I thought the romantic relationship could have used some work and wasn't super believable for me, but I still rooted for them to be together.  I have had to refrain from buying the next one (until the price lowers on the digital version) because the book ends in such an abrupt spot! I kept trying to go to the next page convinced it was just a chapter break!!!! Argh!!!!! Not prepared for that!! I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to hold out...

Second: The Fault In Our Stars by John Green.  I saw this one all over Instagram last year, and enjoyed it immensely.  I was reluctant to start it because emotions make me uncomfortable. But it's worth it.  I loved the point of view.  It was unexpectedly personal too, for me, in a good way. This is one you'll be glad you took time to read.  I'm looking forward to the other books Green has written.

Third: The Elegance of The Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery.  I loved this one so much.  I underlined on the first night of reading it.  It's written in such a beautiful way and is originally a french novel.  The story is from two different perspectives and each is so different.  An older woman who is pretending to be something she isn't, and a teenage girl who keeps note about the magnificent things in life.  If she finds something good enough, she will refrain from committing suicide. Both are so interesting and really beautiful.  Maybe it's because Muriel Barbery is French, but I felt she was exceptionally good at capturing feelings and turning them into words.  Not necessarily a fast read, but I think I extended it because I didn't want it to end!  I'll definitely be reading anything else she's written.

Fourth: The Emperor's Soul by Brandon Sanderson.  This was a recommendation from my Step-Father who is nuts for sci-fi and everything about it.  I enjoy science-fiction but it's not my main scene.  This is more of a novella and tells an interesting story about a forger who must recreate an emperor's soul.  The idea was really great but I felt the writing was a bit repetitive, like the author needed more space to establish backstory.  If you like science fiction a lot, you'd definitely enjoy this one.

Fifth: Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? By Mindy Kaling. This one was super fun, like a vacation with a good friend.  She's funny and honest and I really enjoy hearing how things happen to people.  I'm a bit embarrassed to say I assumed she was going to be more superficial, and was really pleasantly surprised with how real and awesome she is.  Plus she's seriously hilarious.  I enjoy watching her on TV more after reading this.  It's like I know her now, you know? Ha.

Sixth: The Rosie Project by Graeme Smith. I LOVED this story!! It's a boy meets girl story but so much better.  The main character is almost robotic in personality but so endearing and it is hilarious to watch him go through certain things he has never dealt with before.  I really enjoy romantic stories that aren't filled with sex and ridiculousness, that have interesting and complex characters with a well done plot, and this one was so good.  

That's what I've been reading lately, have you found anything to read?

1 comment:

  1. I've been reading a ton this year, too! I'm in the middle of the Rosie Project, and just finished The Lowland and Me Before You - I highly recommend both!

    ReplyDelete