Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Sew With Me Spring Week 1: The Everyday Skirt by Liesl + Co.

First of all, thanks for joining me! Sorry this is late.  Stuff ended up getting in the way and I didn't get the pictures I wanted, but oh well, next week should be better.  This weekend I sewed up The Every Day Skirt from Liesl + Co. Liesl is also the one who makes Oliver + S. patterns but you probably knew that already. 

I worry that things I make will look like a basement craft project executed by a skilled 8 year old.  But I thought this pattern would be a good place to start with making more structured clothes for myself, and indeed it was! 

I used a cotton quilting fabric from JoAnn's by Anna Maria Horner's talented daughter, Juliana Horner.  Next time I'll probably use something a little different, though this turned out fine, the pattern came off a little more Little House on The Prairie than wanted, but it's cool. I'll make it work.       

My measurements fell in a whole bunch of sizes so I went with the dropped waist size as recommended for this pattern, but I think it ended up a little large.  Next time I'm going down a size.  Never a bad thing. 

This pattern uses elastic in a really awesome way, so you don't need to worry about zippers or anything scary like that. I thought I would have to add length but it turned out just right.

I LOVE that this skirt has pockets.  I will definitely be making more of these and am curious to try a maxi length skirt since the shorter version is so awesome.

The only thing I would advise is that you seriously follow every single step she gives you and take your measurements.  It just won't turn out as well if you don't.   I'm probably going to have to tighten mine up around the waist just a little but the way you put in the elastic it'll be easy to fix.

Have you made this pattern before?  Do you think you'll try it?

Next week: The Ruby Top and Dress by Made by Rae

1 comment:

  1. It looks so cute ! I'm so afraid to sew things for me. I don't want to spend $30-$40 on fabric + 5-8 hours to end up with something I don't like. And physically, I'm not where I want to be so I'm just waiting to feel more comfortable !

    I can't wait to see the Ruby Top ! It's a pattern I've been wanting to make so I'm curious to see what you have to say about it.

    ReplyDelete