Thursday, August 28, 2014

More summer reading

Hey guys!  I've been reading/listening to some books lately.  Here's what I've finished lately.  Check out the #sewandread for more recommendations on Instagram.

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen  - I listened to this one on Audible as part of my free 30 days of Kindle Unlimited (yay for being cheap!).  I was thrilled to see that along with the kindle version it came with the Audible version (I've linked to the audiobook here), and I listened to it while I ran, washed dishes, sewed, and it was a wonderful story.  There were some very brief parts I wish weren't included but they were small enough to overlook and didn't color the rest of the book for me.  I liked the reading, and the voices were well done.  This story of a man who worked on a circus is told in two phases of his life, during his time on the circus, and as an old man waiting to go to the circus.  Besides the fact that it made me even more scared to become an old person and watch my body decay as it must, I LOVED the insights, the stories, the narration, it was gorgeous and an incredible telling of a time we don't give much thought to anymore. 


The Dog Stars by Peter Heller - A flu has wiped out nearly everyone, and it is 9 years later.  Those who have survived are tough and hardened.  This story about a man, Hig, his dog and his neighbor, was immensely enjoyable.  It's written as Hig's thoughts, which makes it read differently from other books, and adds an intimacy between narrator and reader that I really loved.  The plot part comes in when Hig, who is a pilot, hears someone on his radio during a routine perimiter check, and it gets him wondering what is outside the perimeter they've established and protected.  I thought this would be a pretty gritty book since it was in the end of humanity category that I'm loving right now, but it was surprisingly tender and sweet in all the right ways.  Not that there wasn't violence, there was, but it wasn't excessive or just for show.  It was handled well.  I loved it.  I can easily imagine reading it again someday. I would also love to see this one as a movie.  If well cast it would be incredible!

Pines by Blake Crouch - Another audio book I downloaded during my free trial of Kindle Unlimited.  The story is interesting and compelling and you're constantly asking yourself what could possibly be going on!  It's intriguing and scary at the same time.  It's about a secret service agent who goes to Wayward Pines, Idaho in search of two other agents who disappeared. There's all these weird things that seem so off, and blatantly not normal, but you're not quite sure how at the same time.  You have to keep listening/reading.  I got a lot of dishes washed and laundry folded while I listened to this one.  This type of story isn't for everyone, but I enjoyed it right through to the end. Definitely entertaining. And there's a sequel!

Wayward by Blake Crouch - The second book in the Wayward Pines trilogy and also listened to on Audible through Kindle Unlimited.  Oh my goodness it was intense. I think I listened to this in a day and a half.  Every chapter is something different that makes you rethink what you thought you knew about the main character, Ethan Burke, and everything that's happened to him.  I don't want to give anything away but in short he investigates a murder that is not what it seems. There's a 3rd book but it's not on Kindle Unlimited so I'll have to actually read it... Ha! Also, I found out that they are turning these books into a series on Fox called Wayward Pines and I'm really excited to see it.  You can see the trailer here and it seems to stay pretty tight with the book so it will give you an indication of what to expect if you read these books.  I'm excited to see what the third one has in store!


Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell - I totally judged this one by the cover.  So cute, right? But the inside was actually even better.  Set in the 1980's this story is about two teenagers and their discovery of each other.  It's full of wonderful conversation, and immediately transported me back to some of my high school memories.  This story does deal with some uncomfortable things, specifically an incredibly unsafe and unhealthy home life for one of the characters, so just be aware if that isn't something you want to read.  I thought it was a great read despite the uncomfortable parts, and enjoyed the characters and writing. I wish the ending had been clearer about what happened to certain people in the story but sometimes you just don't know, that's life, and it was consistent to the point of view in which the narrative was written.  

What have you been reading recently??

No comments:

Post a Comment